Almond Date Smoothie

Hello :-) I know there are a lot of versions of this recipe floating around. Just thought I'd share a quick video of how I make my date and almond smoothie.

I used to get the almond date smoothie from Second Cup, without the bananas. Then I started playing with other ingredients and varying the amounts, and of course, adding caffeine, to my liking. It's quick to make, relatively filling, and adequately nutritious. In terms of nutrition, the most important elements to me are calcium and protein. There's also a bit of fibre, and no refined sugar. So all in all, I figured, this is a pretty decent breakfast 😅

About hemp vs. flax vs. chia seeds

I used to use ground flaxseed, and the Second Cup smoothie also uses flaxseed too. But I found it gave a little bit of aftertaste that makes me gravitate towards hemp seeds more if given the choice. Nutritionally, flax gives more of the good fats and fibre. Chia also gives more fibre, but also gets stuck in my teeth (not that anyone sees with masks on nowadays). Hemp has some good fats and fibre too, but also has more protein. It also went on sale. So in the end, I went with hemp.

About my dear blender

I have this old granny blender that I picked up for $10 on clearance in a corner of Superstore over 10 years ago. Never had much regular use until now, and surprisingly, it still works! Thank goodness I kept it. ^.^ I did end up having to chop and blend the dates first in a smaller amount of almond milk. Otherwise, the dates just get swirled around and around without actually getting blended into the smoothie. I've also tried soaking the dates overnight to soften them, but it still didn't help my poor blender. But it really works well otherwise
😅 and I don't want to discard it yet... Not that I'm vegan right now, but if you're interested, check out my other vegan recipes here My Instagram: @kelly.elly

Almond Date Smoothie:

~3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk (+/-vanilla) 1/4-1/3 cup unsweetened oat milk (frozen as ice cubes) 1-2 tsp almond butter 1-2 pitted dried dates ~2 tsp hemp hearts dash of cinnamon optional: vanilla extract optional (but not really 😅): instant espresso/coffee powder

Comments

Popular Posts